1. How do I approve vacations?
There are two ways you can approve vacation requests for your team members.
The first is to approve them directly inside Slack. Once a team member requests a vacation or day off, you will receive a notification from Vacation Tracker allowing you to approve the request from within Slack.
Alternatively, if you need to get more information about which team members are off during the requested period, you can go to the administrator dashboard and approve it inside the “Requests” tab on the homepage of the dashboard.
2. How do I access the administrator dashboard?
You can access the administrator dashboard by going to https://dashboard.vacationtracker.io. Please note that you need to be logged into Slack and that you need to be an administrator of your Slack organization in order to access the administrator dashboard for the first time. After you add other administrators for Vacation Tracker, they will also be able to access the dashboard even if they are not Slack administrators.
3. How does the dashboard homepage page work?
The main dashboard page (a.k.a. the dashboard homepage) is the place where you get an overview of your team’s vacations and days off. The first thing you’ll see is a heatmap:
Here you get an overview of the density of vacations and days off for the entire company. You can hover over individual days to see how many people will be absent for that day.
Below the heatmap, you will see several tabs:
- Requests: this is where you will see all your unapproved requests. You can approve them either through the dashboard or directly inside Slack.
- People off today: shows a list of your team members who are not present today and who approved their time off.
- Upcoming days off: shows a list of all upcoming vacations and days off that have been booked by your team.
- People who didn’t take vacations: shows a list of people that have not yet requested a vacation or any days off. These are your hardest working team members! 🙂
- People who took vacations: shows a list of people that have already taken vacations or days off and how many days they have remaining.
4. How do I set the default number of days off for my company?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Settings”. In the “General” tab, you will be able to set the default number of vacation days for your team.
If you want to set quotas for individual team members, please see #11 in this FAQ.
5. How do I set unlimited days off for my team?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Settings”. In the “General” tab, you will see a switch for setting unlimited days off for your entire team.
If you want to set unlimited days off individual team members, please see #11 in this FAQ.
6. How do I add team members?
You don’t need to. Vacation Tracker automagically pulls your team members from your Slack organization. So whenever you add a new team member in Slack, they will appear in Vacation Tracker.
7. How do I set general administrators?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Settings”. Then click on the “Employee Settings” tab. From this tab, you can set the administrators for the entire company.
Administrators in Vacation Tracker are independent from the administrators in your Slack organization. So you can have an administrator in Vacation Tracker that is not an administrator in Slack.
If you’d like to set an administrator for a team, please see #10 in this FAQ.
8. How do I set the channel and time for vacation notifications?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Settings”. Then click on the “Notifications” tab. From here, you can choose the default Slack channel in which notifications and reminders will be posted, as well as the time that you want those reminders to be sent by Vacation Tracker.
Each Thursday, Vacation Tracker will send a reminder to the selected channel to let your team know who will be off the following
9. How do I set up multiple teams?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Teams”. Your whole Slack organization will be set to one team by default. However, if like us, you have multiple offices which have their own administrators, you can create additional teams to manage your requests.
To create a new team, click on “Create new team”, enter the name of your team, choose the team members who belong to that team and then choose the administrators for that team. Please note that team members can only belong to one team while an administrator can be part of multiple teams.
10. How do I set admins for different teams?
Once you create the team as outlined in #9, you will set administrators for the different teams in your organization. Only administrators for each team will receive requests for their own teams. Please note that team members can only belong to one team while an administrator can be part of multiple teams.
11. How do I set the number of days off for individual team members?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Team Members”. You will then see a list of your whole team. If you have a large team, you can search team members through the search bar at the top of the page.
To change the number of days off for an individual team member, click on “View profile” for the team member for who you want to make the change. Once on their profile, you will be able to change the Total days off per year only for that user. You will also be able to set Unlimited days off only for that user.
12. How do I check the history of vacations and upcoming vacations for individual team members?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Team Members”. Choose the team member and click on “View profile”. Once you get to their profile, you will see two tables with a list of Upcoming days off and a History of the days off for that team member.
13. How do I set holidays?
Log into the administrator dashboard and click on “Holidays”. Write the holiday name and choose the date for that holiday.
14. Is it possible to book half-days or hourly vacations?
At the moment, this is not possible but please let us know if you would like us to add this feature to our roadmap.
15. Can Vacation Tracker change the status of my team members when they are away?
Not presently, but it is in our roadmap to add this feature in the near future.
16. How do I add a calendar feed to my Google Calendar so that the days off are synced with Vacation Tracker?
Vacation Tracker supports iCal format for importing days off to Google Calendar. To import the events to your Google Calendar, log into the administrator dashboard, go to “Settings” page, and copy iCal link.
Then go to your Google calendar and click on the “Other Calendars” dropdown in the left side bar. Choose “Add by URL”, and then enter the iCal URL. Finally, click on “Add Calendar” and wait for Google to import your events.
17. How do I submit a bug or feature request?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always interested to hear feedback from our users and we count on the awesome teams using Vacation Tracker to provide valuable feedback and suggestions on how to improve the product!
18. What if a coupon code doesn't work?
If you are experiencing an issue with your coupon code, please double-check your email and make sure you are entering it correctly.
Entering a code manually can result in some of the following common mistakes:
- Check if you have any spelling errors.
- Check the “Caps Lock” button and make sure you only use it when necessary. Coupon codes are case sensitive.
Problem not solved? Please read our coupon code restrictions below.
- If the coupon code has expired, you can no longer reactivate it.
- The coupon code you’ve received cannot be used multiple times.
- We only accept coupon codes issued by Vacation Tracker.
If you are sure your coupon code is valid, but it’s still not working, please contact us.